PopularSurprising SciencePersonal GrowthMind & BrainSex & RelationshipsTechnology & InnovationCulture & ReligionPolitics & Current Affairs
It turns out light can not only be twisted, but at different speeds.
04 July, 2019
- An unsuspected property of light, called "self-torque," had just been discovered.
- The discovery will allow scientists to control the behavior of light in a new way.
- The potential applications are still being worked out, but look very exciting.
invention science medical research manufacturing telecom technology laser light twisted light discovery
Lasers could cut lifespan of nuclear waste from "a million years to 30 minutes," says Nobel laureate
Physicist plans to karate-chop them with super-fast blasts of light.
04 April, 2019
- Gérard Mourou has already won a Nobel for his work with fast laser pulses.
- If he gets pulses 10,000 times faster, he says he can modify waste on an atomic level.
- If no solution is found, we're already stuck with some 22,000 cubic meters of long-lasting hazardous waste.
prediction europe global issues pollution big problems innovation laser nuclear waste nuclear energy