An astrophysicist proposes new designs for stellar engines that can move a solar system.
- An astrophysicist proposes two new designs for stellar engines.
- The engines would be able to move our sun and whole solar systems.
- Moving the sun would be necessary to avoid collisions with supernovas and other space catastrophes.
A 2020 space mission wants to use zero gravity to disable some of the hardest cancers to fight.
- An Australian research mission, launched in 2020 by Elon Musk's SpaceX, will study effects of zero gravity on four cancers.
- Other missions with similar objectives are set to launch in 2022 aboard the new China Space Station.
- In earlier experiments, scientists found that microgravity can kill cancer cells.
Researchers propose a gravity-based system for long-term energy storage.
- A new paper outlines using the the Mountain Gravity Energy Storage (or MGES) for long-term energy storage.
- This approach can be particularly useful in remote, rural and island areas.
- Gravity and hydropower can make this method a successful storage solution.
Researchers develop a novel method to measure gravity that can get much more information.
- Scientists use lasers that suspend atoms in air to measure gravity.
- This method can be more precise and allow for gathering of much more information.
- Portal devices using this technique can help find mineral deposits and improve mapping.
Erik Verlinde has been compared to Einstein for completely rethinking the nature of gravity.
- The Dutch physicist Erik Verlinde's hypothesis describes gravity as an "emergent" force not fundamental.
- The scientist thinks his ideas describe the universe better than existing models, without resorting to "dark matter".
- While some question his previous papers, Verlinde is reworking his ideas as a full-fledged theory.