How important is it to consider a romantic partner's genetic profile before getting married?
The relationship between our genotypes and our psychological traits, while substantial, is highly indirect and emergent.
Many of our psychological traits are innate in origin. There is overwhelming evidence from twin, family and general population studies that all manner of personality traits, as well as things such as intelligence, sexuality and risk of psychiatric disorders, are highly heritable. Put concretely, this means that a sizeable fraction of the population spread of values such as IQ scores or personality measures is attributable to genetic differences between people. The story of our lives most definitively does not start with a blank page.
A new study shows how interbreeding of modern humans and Neanderthals boosted our genomes.
- Homo Sapiens mated with Neanderthals when they left Africa for Eurasia.
- Neanderthals developed key genetic adaptations to fighting diseases.
- Modern humans have 152 genes inherited from the Neanderthals that interact with viruses.
Scientists have grown a model human esophagus using pluripotent stem cells for the first time.
- By precisely timing the application of different chemicals, scientists have grown a small, model esophagus from stem cells.
- They used the model esophagus to clarify why a certain congenital condition occurs.
- Using this technique, future researchers will be able to understand the nature of diseases better, develop new treatments, and even repair damaged esophagi.
We can “read” genes with ease now, but still can’t say what most of them “mean.” To show why we need clearer “causology” and fitter metaphors, let's scrutinize cars and their parts like we do bodies and genes.