Thousands of people are experiencing severe pulmonary issues from vaping, and some are dying.
- Scientists now believe that the primary culprit in this health crisis is vitamin E acetate, though research continues for other toxic factors.
- Vitamin E is a gooey thickener often used in black-market cannabis-based vaping products.
- Vapers who feel like they may have pneumonia should consult a physician immediately.
Even before publication, health agencies were asking the journal not to publish the research.
- A new study in the Annals of Internal Medicine found little correlation between red meat consumption and health problems.
- A number of organizations immediately contested the evidence, claiming it to be based on an irrelevant system of analysis.
- Beef and dairy production is one of the leading drivers of climate change, forcing humans to weigh personal health against the environment.
The large-scale study got it right for 83 percent of participants. Would you take the blood test?
- A research team found 14 biomarkers can accurately predict death within 5–10 years.
- Such a test could help doctors and researchers prescribe better courses of treatments for patients.
- Information about mortality might inspire people to eat better and exercise more, thus reversing the effects of some biomarkers.
How can a misfolded protein be behind some of the strangest and deadliest diseases out there?
- Prions don't sound so bad at first blush: they're simply proteins that have the wrong shape.
- They may sound innocuous, but "catching" prions is always fatal, and there is no cure.
- Curiously, the most famous case of a prion disease outbreak happened in a cannibalistic tribe in Papua New Guinea.
Nematodes demonstrate that neurons can influence offspring's genetics.
- Caenorhabditis elegans nematodes can transmit information about the environment through neurons to future generations.
- Research from Tel Aviv University pushes back against the "second law of biology," which states that heritable information is segregated from somatic influences.
- If applicable to humans, this research could have important uses in medicine.