The large-scale study got it right for 83 percent of participants. Would you take the blood test?
- A research team found 14 biomarkers can accurately predict death within 5–10 years.
- Such a test could help doctors and researchers prescribe better courses of treatments for patients.
- Information about mortality might inspire people to eat better and exercise more, thus reversing the effects of some biomarkers.
How can a misfolded protein be behind some of the strangest and deadliest diseases out there?
- Prions don't sound so bad at first blush: they're simply proteins that have the wrong shape.
- They may sound innocuous, but "catching" prions is always fatal, and there is no cure.
- Curiously, the most famous case of a prion disease outbreak happened in a cannibalistic tribe in Papua New Guinea.
Nematodes demonstrate that neurons can influence offspring's genetics.
- Caenorhabditis elegans nematodes can transmit information about the environment through neurons to future generations.
- Research from Tel Aviv University pushes back against the "second law of biology," which states that heritable information is segregated from somatic influences.
- If applicable to humans, this research could have important uses in medicine.
A bill in New York would let older kids get vaccinations against their parents' wishes.
- Teens 14 and older should be able to get vaccinated on their own, says a new bill in New York.
- Lawmakers were inspired by Ethan Lindenberger, an Ohio teen who fought to take vaccines against his mom's wishes.
- Anti-vaccination attitudes have been blamed for recent measles outbreaks.
Chemo is our best response to cancer so far. A novel new therapy could render it obsolete.
- Researchers at Northwestern have discovered a genetic "kill code" that might enable the destruction of cancer cells.
- This novel new therapy "downstream" of chemo might destroy cancer cells without affecting the body's immune system.
- While no animal trials have been conducted, this potential therapy could signal the demise of chemotherapy.