Humans blame cats for killing birds, but our buildings are far worse.
- Nearly a billion birds are killed every year after flying into windows.
- The American Bird Conservancy published an extensive guide to incorporating bird-friendly design into buildings.
- Over twenty cities have programs to help reduce the number of avian deaths.
They're fun, so why not? Well, maybe because they're often inscrutable.
- A new paper looks at the 👍️ and 👎️ of using emojis in biomedical documentation.
- It's the return of pictographs, millennia later.
- Do your thumbs even know how to avoid them?
Moving from HOT to HAT, a dazzling new acoustic technology.
- Scientists announce the ability to simultaneously manipulate individual levitated objects.
- Using high-frequency sound waves may provide a safer alternative to laser microsurgery.
- Video of the research looks like a cartoon, but it's all real.
Why this $600 million business isn't about money.
- Problem solving doesn't have to involve numbers. Sometimes it just involves connecting dots between markets, and simple experiments based on data.
- These tweaks can make huge differences in people's lives. And anyone can do it, as social design can life entire communities.
- People who participate in social design learn how to apply it in the future, making social design a learnable and transferable skill.
As this typewritten map shows, constraints can be freeing.
- An old Royal Safari II typewriter was used to make this effective and attractive map.
- Although they're relatively easy to make, typewriter maps are rare.
- The mapmaker has received numerous commissions; will typewritten maps be the cartographic hype of 2019?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.