When it comes to climate change, today's airplane pollution is a real problem.
- A new partnership between the Delft University of Technology and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines has been announced along with a plan for a striking new plane.
- The Flying-V is a plane that's all wing, and promises a 20% reduction in fuel use.
- Riding in the Flying-V as it banks may not be for the faint of heart.
Humans blame cats for killing birds, but our buildings are far worse.
- Nearly a billion birds are killed every year after flying into windows.
- The American Bird Conservancy published an extensive guide to incorporating bird-friendly design into buildings.
- Over twenty cities have programs to help reduce the number of avian deaths.
They're fun, so why not? Well, maybe because they're often inscrutable.
- A new paper looks at the 👍️ and 👎️ of using emojis in biomedical documentation.
- It's the return of pictographs, millennia later.
- Do your thumbs even know how to avoid them?
Moving from HOT to HAT, a dazzling new acoustic technology.
- Scientists announce the ability to simultaneously manipulate individual levitated objects.
- Using high-frequency sound waves may provide a safer alternative to laser microsurgery.
- Video of the research looks like a cartoon, but it's all real.
Why this $600 million business isn't about money.
- Problem solving doesn't have to involve numbers. Sometimes it just involves connecting dots between markets, and simple experiments based on data.
- These tweaks can make huge differences in people's lives. And anyone can do it, as social design can life entire communities.
- People who participate in social design learn how to apply it in the future, making social design a learnable and transferable skill.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.