Human and Machine to Merge at For Humankind – a Bing/Big Think Co-Production
Jason Gots is a New York-based writer, editor, and podcast producer. For Big Think, he writes (and sometimes illustrates) the blog "Overthinking Everything with Jason Gots" and is the creator and host of the "Think Again" podcast. In previous lives, Jason worked at Random House Children's Books, taught reading and writing to middle schoolers and community college students, co-founded a theatre company (Rorschach, in Washington, D.C.), and wrote roughly two dozen picture books for kids learning English in Seoul, South Korea. He is also the proud father of an incredibly talkative and crafty little kid.
On June 30-July 1, Bing and Big Think present For Humankind, a weekend-long science, technology and design pop-up expo at 201 Mulberry Street, New York City. Here we will spotlight those ideas, communities and devices that integrate into our lives, capitalize on our unique strengths, and amplify the best of human nature.
Join us for an exciting, interactive exploration of what it means to be human – today and far into the future.
The event is the culmination of Humanizing Technology, an online expo we launched back in April, exploring the evolving relationship between humankind and the technology we create.
Humanizing Technology has inspired some of the most fascinating interviews ever featured on Big Think, including:
The central question of the series and the For Humankind expo is this: Given that technology is rapidly and drastically changing the way we live, how do we want to live with technology? It emerges from our belief that while technology is morally neutral, it is imperative that we take an active stance in guiding its use and development in directions that enhance the best of human nature.
Being an educated consumer isn't enough; we also need to be producers, applying technology wisely and creatively to better ourselves, our relationships, and our world.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.