Sean Scully on the Pissarro Painting He Will Never Own
Question: Is there a work you would never sell?
Scully: Well, okay I got the perfect answer. It’s a painting by Pizarro and Pizarro live in South London near Crystal Palace. It’s a very high point, lot of impressionist live there and another movement in art, a name which I just forgot. And Pizarro painted a picture of Penge West Station. And Penge West Station was the station that I went to everyday when I went to work as s 15 year old apprentice and it was my ambition when I grew up to become a famous artist and buy that painting which I course never can but since you asked me hypothetical question, that’s the painting.
The artist tells the story of the painting that made him become an artist.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
We take fewer mental pictures per second.
- Recent memories run in our brains like sped-up old movies.
- In childhood, we capture images in our memory much more quickly.
- The complexities of grownup neural pathways are no match for the direct routes of young brains.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.