Sean Scully on the Pissarro Painting He Will Never Own
Question: Is there a work you would never sell?
Scully: Well, okay I got the perfect answer. It’s a painting by Pizarro and Pizarro live in South London near Crystal Palace. It’s a very high point, lot of impressionist live there and another movement in art, a name which I just forgot. And Pizarro painted a picture of Penge West Station. And Penge West Station was the station that I went to everyday when I went to work as s 15 year old apprentice and it was my ambition when I grew up to become a famous artist and buy that painting which I course never can but since you asked me hypothetical question, that’s the painting.
The artist tells the story of the painting that made him become an artist.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.