How are implicit biases holding us back?
Overcoming assumptions when it comes to gender and capabilities is the key to a successful society.
- It's important to realize the implicit biases we carry regarding gender.
- In school settings, women are less likely to be encouraged to pursue careers in STEM fields because it's assumed that men have greater math skills. This simply isn't true.
- In the interest of a successful society, everyone should be allowed to pursue work based on their interests and skills.
- The Difference Between Implicit Bias and Racism - Big Think ›
- Implicit bias gets its power from invisibility - Big Think ›
In a metaphor too apt to be made up, the council has been forced to relocate until the flood waters recede.
- The City of Venice is currently enduring the worst flooding to strike it in 50 years.
- The mayor has declared it to be a result of climate change.
- During a debate over next years budget, and right after rejecting environmental proposals, the main chamber of the regional council flooded.
The Von Braun Space Station, based on the concepts of a controversial scientist, is moving ahead with construction plans.
- The Gateway Foundation is building a space hotel, based on the concepts of a Nazi and American rocket scientist Wernher von Braun.
- The space station is expected to be operational by 2025.
- The company plans to assemble it in orbit, using robots and drones.
The vaccine is 97.5% effective in protecting against the Zaire species of Ebola, according to the World Health Organization.
- The European Medicines Agency granted special approval for an Ebola vaccine called Ervebo.
- Ervebo has proven remarkably effective in clinical trials conducted in Africa.
- An Ebola outbreak has killed more than 2,000 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo since August 2018.