As Game of Thrones ends, a revealing resolution to its perplexing geography.
- The fantasy world of Game of Thrones was inspired by real places and events.
- But the map of Westeros is a good example of the perplexing relation between fantasy and reality.
- Like Britain, it has a Wall in the North, but the map only really clicks into place if you add Ireland.
Tracking project establishes northern Argentina is wintering ground of Swainson's hawks
- Watch these six dots move across the map and be moved yourself: this is a story about coming of age, discovery, hardship, death and survival.
- Each dot is a tag attached to the talon of a Swainson's Hawk. We follow them on their very first migration, from northern California all the way down to Argentina.
- After one year, only one is still alive.
The same 32 symbols show up in prehistoric European cave art.
- Many of these symbols are found in caves in Africa, Asia, Australia and America as well.
- At least 40,000 years old, the set of symbols may have been a universal communications tool.
- Among these symbols is the iconic hashtag.
Hold the press... college might be a bad idea. Unless we change something.
- College went from being a beneficial step in a young person's life to a huge financial burden for decades into their life.
- Since the 1970s, the cost of education has gone up between 400–1200%, depending on the kind of school you go to.
- Can we turn it around? Only societal change — and a good hard look in the mirror — can really make college a better move for young Americans.
What is 'mom guilt'? It's a symptom of the tragic state of America's parental leave policies.
- America's poor family leave policies for new parents are the reason why 'mom guilt' is universal – but that guilt is unreasonable, says Smith Brody.
- 'Dad guilt' is not a term, but men should also be part of this conversation.
- For every month of parental leave that a father takes, the mom's lifetime earnings increase by 7%. Studies prove fathers who take parental leave ultimately have better relationships with their teenage children.