PopularSurprising SciencePersonal GrowthMind & BrainSex & RelationshipsTechnology & InnovationCulture & ReligionPolitics & Current Affairs
Reviewing the conflagration within Central Africa.
29 August, 2019
- There are more than five times as many fires in central Africa than the Amazon.
- While the fires are mostly confined to savanna, they could threaten the Congo Basin.
- The Congo Basin is the second largest rainforest in the world.
The blazes may be the first step in a hellish downward spiral.
26 August, 2019
Image source: Bloomberg / Contributor / Getty
- Never before has so much of the Amazon rainforest been on fire.
- The fires are largely set by humans clearing areas for development.
- The fires may push us into a vicious, irreversible climate pattern.
big problems south america sustainability resources global issues trees amazon brazil fires climate change