Device for harnessing terahertz radiation might enable self-powering implants, cellphones, other portable electronics.
Learn to understand the foundations of modern life and even launch a new career.
- Electrical engineering is the study, design, and application of systems that utilize electricity and electronics.
- Modern applications include power grids, telecommunications, and circuit boards.
- Computing systems such as supercomputers and tablets rely on electrical engineering.
Using permanent magnets may help to make nuclear fusion reactors simpler and more affordable.
- Nuclear fusion is the process of fusing atomic nuclei, which can unleash vast amounts of energy.
- Nuclear fusion reactors have existed for years, but none of them are able to sustainably produce energy.
- A new paper describes how permanent magnets can be used on stellarators to control the flow of super-hot plasma.
As it turns out, people who can afford to fly all the time use more energy than anybody else.
- The rich use much more energy per person than the poor do.
- This holds up no matter where you go.
- The findings suggest that, as the global poor gain wealth, strategies to keep emissions and energy use down will have to aim at several areas of consumption.
Ever smell a durian fruit? Don't. Think of it as nature's stinky battery.
- New research finds that jackfruit and durian, often called the world's smelliest fruit, make outstanding supercapacitors.
- Supercapacitors are useful because they can be used as infinitely rechargeable batteries.
- The study, published in the Journal of Energy Storage, also demonstrates the development of carbon aerogels for the bodies of the fruit batteries.