The solar farm is expected to save the airport millions over the following decades.
- Tennessee's Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport recently completed construction of a 2.74-megawatt solar farm.
- The system includes battery storage that enables it to continue operating without constant sunlight.
- Airport officials hope it will serve as a model to other airports.
Russia's state-owned nuclear corporation Rosatom denies the allegations.
- The nuclear leak occurred in 2017 and was recorded by scientists in multiple European countries.
- No nation or organization has ever claimed responsibility for the leak, which, while massive, is not believed to have harmed anyone.
- The new study used more than 1,300 measurements to trace the likely source of the leak to the Urals region of Russia, where lies the Mayak nuclear complex.
Did fire change the development of the human brain?
- The earliest evidence for fire dates back nearly 440 million years.
- Our hominin ancestors first used natural wildfires to flush out prey and forage for food.
- Richard Wrangham's cooking hypothesis suggests that a ready supply of cooked food allowed the Homo lineage to develop its large, complex brains.
In April, the U.S. generated more electricity from renewables — hydro, wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass — than coal.
- Wind and solar saw the biggest increases in April.
- Spring is when coal-generated electricity is typically lowest, and when hydro-generated electricity is highest.
- American coal-fired power plants are shutting down at record rates, putting thousands of jobs at risk.
Cornell University researchers propose using biology to transform the storage of sustainable energy.
- Scientists from Cornell University suggest using biology to transform sustainable energy storage.
- The researchers propose combining biological and non-biological electrochemical engineering to improve on photosynthesis.
- Using electroactive microbes can produce biofuels.