Researchers discovered a mysterious quantum effect that breaks a 60-year-old physics theorem.
- Princeton scientists lead an international team that discovered unusual behavior in iron-based superconductors.
- The researchers observed how adding cobalt atoms disrupted superconductivity.
- The experiment demonstrated unexpected quantum behavior.
A mysterious startup reveals a groundbreaking solar energy achievement.
- Heliogen, a startup backed by Bill Gates and Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, announces a solar energy breakthrough.
- The company's array of mirrors generated heat of 1,000 degrees Celsius, nearly twice as much as before.
- The startup aims to utilize the technology in industrial processes, significantly reducing gas emissions.
Researchers propose a gravity-based system for long-term energy storage.
- A new paper outlines using the the Mountain Gravity Energy Storage (or MGES) for long-term energy storage.
- This approach can be particularly useful in remote, rural and island areas.
- Gravity and hydropower can make this method a successful storage solution.
The green market is growing exponentially. But will the U.S. seize the economic opportunity?
- The United States green economy now employs 10 times more people than the fossil fuel industry, providing nearly 9.5 million jobs.
- In the face of a global climate catastrophe, the green economy is destined to keep rising at an exponential rate over the next decade.
- Rather than seize this golden economic opportunity, the Trump administration has promised to protect coal and mining jobs while eviscerating funds from green energy.
It's telling about attempts to save the industry.
- Murray Energy, the largest private coal company in the U.S., has filed for bankruptcy protection.
- It is just one of several similar companies to seek these protections this year.
- Its decline has been years in the making, and is another sign that the market has decided coal's fate.