A teenager finally made relativity and reference frames understandable
A student’s award-winning explanation of relativity and reference frames is the best one yet.
Meet Hillary Diane Andales.
Hillary Diane Andales (BREAKTHROUGH PRIZE)
The 12th grader, who's 18, lives in Tacloban City, Philippines, and made the video below as her entry in the Breakthrough Junior Challenge 2017. Spoiler alert: She won. Small wonder. For any of us struggling to wrap our minds around brain-bending relativity, her video explaining how reference frames work is so simple, so clear, and so very welcome.
Such Zen clarity is deceptive: It takes a lot of work. Andales tells Asian Scientist that she went through 20 drafts and about 100 hours of animation and shooting to arrive at the final video. And it doesn't hurt to be brilliant. The teenager, when asked about her plans, says, “Right now, I'm eyeing fundamental or particle physics."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, "Earth," features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.