When Bald Is Beautiful
"A man's shaved head—whether it's to-the-skin or with slight stubble—can suggest a sigh-inspiring combination of intellectual depth and machismo."
"Hairlessness also turns back the clock, making it difficult to tell a man's age. And it highlights a fellow's bone structure and eyes. Frederick Blacksher, a 22-year-old aspiring actor in Los Angeles, cut his thick black hair (no thinning in sight) to a few millimeters because 'it makes my features stand out.' But for most men, a head shave is a white flag in the battle against male-pattern baldness. Receding hairlines spur otherwise sane men to torture themselves cosmetically, often with unfortunate results. These include the dreaded comb-over, Rogaine fuzz and the crop-like appearance of hair plugs."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.