Two Planets, Two Suns, One Happy Solar System
With the help of NASA's Kepler long-range scanning mission, scientists have located a solar system in which two planets are orbiting around two suns, confirming that multiple-planet "circumbinary systems" exist.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What's the Latest Development?
Anybody who's seen the first Star Wars movie can remember the strange thrill of seeing, through Luke Skywalker's eyes, the twin suns of his home planet, Tatooine. With the help of NASA's Kepler mission, astronomers have recently detected a binary star system about which two planets are enjoying relatively stable orbits. The larger planet orbits the suns every 303 days, which puts it into the desirable "habitable region" where liquid water could exist. Due to its size -- its radius is more than four times that of Earth's -- scientists believe it may be a gas giant similar to Uranus. However, any moons orbiting the planet could potentially contain water.
What's the Big Idea?
Kepler has discovered binary stars before, including four with their own single orbiting planet, but it's the first time a "circumbinary system" has been detected that contains two planets. This simple fact -- that multiple planets can exist in such a system -- highlights the team's findings, which were published online yesterday. It's not an exact version of Tatooine, however: Unlike Luke's home world, where the daylight was fairly constant, these two planets move quickly in their orbits, resulting in uneven illumination.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.