Strategies For Keeping Cool and Composed in Stressful Situations
Losing your temper will almost always make a bad situation worse. The key to keeping your cool during most frustrating times is to rely on acts of empathy, concision, clarity, and good organization.
Kate Midena of the Australian site news.com.au has a piece up about keeping a cool head during the warm summer months. For those of us firmly entrenched in the Northern Hemisphere, the advice is still plenty useful despite the fact that we're in for a lousy winter up ahead. Here are some of Midena's key points for keeping your temper in check:
1. Be nice: The best way to keep your composure is to make sure your surroundings are calm. If you're confronted by an angry co-worker or find yourself in the middle of an ugly argument, know that cooling the situation means relying on empathy. The other person may be having a rough day or could be dealing with a ton of stress. You can't let them get under your skin. Before fighting back, consider more pacifistic approaches in order to reach a peaceful solution.
2. Be clear: If someone has ticked you off and you're forced to confront them, be sure not to pussyfoot around the issue. Midena interviewed a life coach who recommends that you rely on...
"...clear, calm, short statements. Tell them what you’d like them to do. Be courteous. Always take someone with you if you feel threatened, look after your physical safety. Otherwise, look at it as an opportunity to build your confidence in speaking up, and know by speaking up about something you’re valuing your own needs.”
3. Have perspective: There are some things you should let upset you. There are others you can't:
"The weather, people’s attitudes, whether your banana bruises in your bag, the traffic — there are so many things operating outside of our control every day. The secret to coping? Don’t sweat the small stuff."
Check out more composure tips at news.com.au
Photo credit: Eugene Sergeev / Shutterstock
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.