Human Teleportation (à la Star Trek) Not Entirely Far-Fetched
Cheeky Scottish space engineers rejoice! Teleportation of humans is theoretically possible.
What's the Latest?
This post was initially going to be an exploration of real-life applications of the science and technology of Star Wars, inspired by this piece in the The Telegraph. But, as it turns out, that article (since corrected) was rife with inaccuracies and the scientific viewpoints espoused within are really just conjecture by a pair of sci-fi fans. What's that, Luke?
I'm afraid so, buddy.
That said, we can at least turn to Star Wars' natural rival (and mutual J.J. Abrams bedfellow) Star Trek for a glimpse into the (barely) feasible real-life application of human teleportation. That glimpse comes to us through the eyes of Dr. Ronald Hanson, a professor at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.
What's the Big Idea?
Professor Hanson's team recently became the first in history to record a 100% success rate while teleporting data between two separate electrons. While the transportation of human beings through space is a long way's away from moving data, the experiment proved that it is possible to achieve 100% reliable teleportation. Professor Hanson admits that human teleportation is very unlikely, yet the expert on quantum entanglement believes that it would be dangerous to completely deny the prospect. There is no fundamental law of physics saying that it cannot be done so, for Hanson, human teleportation remains a possibility -- even if merely a dubious one.
Photo credit: Syda Productions/Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.