Not Just World Cup Champions, Germany Also Most Energy-Efficient Major Economy
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy ranked Germany first and Mexico last in a rating of major economies and energy efficiency.
What's the Latest?
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy has declared Germany the most energy-efficient major economy on Earth. The recent World Cup winners were awarded the organization's top score and received praise for environmentally-conscious energy and building codes. The council's rankings are part of a study focused on 16 major economies. The United States ranked 13th, higher than only Russia (14th), Brazil (15th), and Mexico (16th). Italy was rated 2nd highest. The European Union as a whole was somewhat quizzically ranked 3rd overall despite Germany, Italy, France (T-4th), the UK (6th), and Spain (8th) also taking spots on the list.
What's the Big Idea?
Germany's top ranking is not much of a surprise. Europe's largest economy is often lauded for its environmental savvy. China's tie with France as the 4th most energy efficient economy is something of a surprise, though The Guardian mentions that China uses less energy per square foot than any other nation. Whether that's a reasoned unit of measurement is up for debate.
The council noted that despite efforts and progress in the United States, Americans still waste way too much energy. Sharper words were reserved for Australia, which the council's study found to be heading in a backwards direction with regard to transportation.
Read more at The Guardian
Photo credit: d13 / Shutterstock
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.