WATCH: Learn to Invest and Start a Business in Under an Hour
We all want to be financially stable and enjoy a well-funded retirement, but we don't want to squander our hard-earned money on poor investments.
We all want to be financially stable and enjoy a well-funded retirement, but we don't want to squander our hard-earned money on poor investments. In this penultimate Floating University video, William Ackman, the CEO of Pershing Square Capital, navigates the complex landscape of how businesses work and how to make smart investments following a simple business model we can all relate to: a lemonade stand.
Why did Albert Einstein say the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest? Through questions like these, you will learn both what it takes to finance and grow a successful business and how to make sound investments that will allow for a cash-comfy retirement.
The principles outlined in this lecture will also benefit your decision-making when it comes to major financial decisions like buying a home, providing for a family, and developing your career.
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
Depression is quicksand, says comedian Pete Holmes. Try this method to help you cope and live with depression.
- Everyone's experience with depression is different, but for comedian Pete Holmes the key to living with depression has been to observe his own thoughts in an impartial way.
- Holmes' method, taught to him by psychologist and spiritual leader Ram Dass, is to connect to his base consciousness and think about himself and his emotions in the third person.
- You can't push depression away, but you can shift your mindset to help better cope with depression, anxiety, and negative emotions. If you feel depressed, you can connect with a crisis counselor anytime in the US.
As Game of Thrones ends, a revealing resolution to its perplexing geography.
- The fantasy world of Game of Thrones was inspired by real places and events.
- But the map of Westeros is a good example of the perplexing relation between fantasy and reality.
- Like Britain, it has a Wall in the North, but the map only really clicks into place if you add Ireland.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.