Stylizing the Environmental Movement: I Am Eco Warrior
"How can I stylize a movement -- the environmental movement -- and make it interesting?"
People always think of environmentalists "being granola or hippyish or even snobbish," says the photographer Roger Moenks. "They never really think of it like being cool or in the frontline of pop culture."
And so Moenks turned his talents to change all of that. His new multimedia platform and coffee-table book, I Am Eco-Warrior: Portraits from the Front Lines of the Sustainability Revolution, seeks to answer the question "How can I stylize a movement -- the environmental movement -- and make it interesting?"
"I didn't want to depict them as tree-huggers," Moenks said. Instead we see ECO-warriors like Ted Turner, Jeffrey Sachs, Stella McCartney, Sir Richard Branson, David de Rothshild, Jane Goodall, Michael Bloomberg and many more.
And so Moenks has stylized these innovative global thinkers in order to rebrand the environmental movement and "use the power of imagery to raise awareness." To learn more about this project, watch the video here:
Image courtesy of Roger Moenks.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.