Sam Harris: We Have to Reclaim Misused Words
In case you missed it from earlier this week, author Sam Harris visited Big Think to discuss his use of the word "spirituality" and the importance of reappropriating powerful terms. He explained how "spooky" words like spiritualism and evil can't just be buried once society moves past the ill-conceived ways they were once used:
"One burden I think we have is to reclaim good and powerful words no matter how they’ve been misused in the past, no matter what the inconvenient details of their etymology is."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
- What distinguishes humans is social learning — and teaching.
- Crucial to learning and teaching is the value of free expression.
- And we need political leaders who support environments of social peace and cooperation.
We're talking Ghost in the Shell type of stuff.
- Why democracy has been unpopular with philosophers
- Tragedy's reminder that the past isn't finished with us
- …and why we need art in the first place
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.