from the world's big
Failure Is Never Giving Yourself the Opportunity to Fail
Words of wisdom from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling: "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all — in which case, you fail by default."
J.K. Rowling (b. 1965) is author of the Harry Potter series of books, the best-selling book series of all-time as well as the source material for one of the highest-grossing film series of all time. So she's sort of a big deal.
Much has been said and written about Rowling's inauspicious beginnings. In 1995, she was a divorced single mother working several jobs and surviving on state's assistance. A few years later, she was the most famous fantasy author of all time and a multi-millionaire. Today, she is very active in charitable and political activism. She has continually been rated as one of the world's most powerful and influential celebrities.
Today's words of wisdom are excerpted from her 2008 commencement speech at Harvard. Before Harry Potter, Rowling considered herself a failure. Her future success came about because she gave herself the opportunity to fail once more... and then didn't. Rowling, like so many successes before her, knew that risk was the fountain from which happiness flows.
Photo: ARL COURT/AFP/Getty Images
Join multiple Tony and Emmy Award-winning actress Judith Light live on Big Think at 2 pm ET on Monday.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
A new study looks at what would happen to human language on a long journey to other star systems.
- A new study proposes that language could change dramatically on long space voyages.
- Spacefaring people might lose the ability to understand the people of Earth.
- This scenario is of particular concern for potential "generation ships".
Generation Ships<span style="display:block;position:relative;padding-top:56.25%;" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="a1e6445c7168d293a6da3f9600f534a2"><iframe type="lazy-iframe" data-runner-src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H2f0Wd3zNj0?rel=0" width="100%" height="auto" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;"></iframe></span>
Many of the most popular apps are about self-improvement.
Emotions are the newest hot commodity, and we can't get enough.