Emily Brontë: "Treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends"
The English author's words resonate today as violent regimes reign across the globe and the United States grapples with the findings of the Senate torture report.
Emily Brontë (1818-1848) was an English novelist and poet whose only novel, Wuthering Heights, is concerned a classic in the British literary canon. Together with sisters Charlotte and Anne, the Brontës are considered one of the great families of literary tradition, though one of the major reasons for their fame is that none of the six Brontë siblings lived to see 40. This tragedy is likely attributable to unsanitary water sources near the family home.
The following quote, spoken by the character Isabella Linton in Wuthering Heights, is one that is so steeped in moral universalism that it transcends time. It's certainly resonant in the wake of current events: from terrorist violence in the Middle East and abroad to the U.S. Senate torture report released this month.
"Treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends — they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies."
-from Wuthering Heights, the character Isabella Linton (Ch. XVII).
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.