What If Obama Has to Dump Tim Geithner?
After two months, it seems safe to say that the Obama presidency is off to a rocky start. And while lots of his nominees–or prospective nominees—turned to be duds, Obama’s biggest headache is Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner.
While Geithner survived Senate confirmation despite tax problems, the current AIG bonus controversy will do serious damage to the Treasury Secretary and his boss. Now, as he unveils the latest incarnation of a bank rescue plan, it’s going to be a rough few days playing defence.
The treasury secretary does seem to have one big supporter in Obama, who insisted he would not even think of accepting his Treasury Secretary’s resignation during his interview on 60 Minutes. But there is a precedent if Obama decides to ditch Geithner. Abraham Lincoln had no problems dismissing his Secretary of War early on in his presidency and went through generals every few months before finding the team of Grant, Sherman, Thomas and Sheridan. The next few weeks will show how much Obama is like Illinois’ other favorite son in the White House.
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.