Watch Ben Affleck End Genocide in the Congo
Though we're more accustomed to see him in B-list romantic comedies and hosting Saturday Night Live, Ben Affleck reported some encouraging news out of central Africa recently where he has teamed up with photographer James Nachtwey to cover the ethnic conflict in the Congo.
Affleck, who has been visiting the region since 2007 "to learn," said eastern Congo is seeing a slight de-escalation in ethnic fighting with the Congolese army taking an active role in seperating Hutu civilians from Interhamawhe militias. Rwandan president Paul Kagame said "I have never been more hopeful than right now." Still can't believe it? Catch Affleck's reportage and all of Nachtwey's images at Time World.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.