Where are we?
Julia Bolz: I am drawn to the international section of the paper. So I look at things like the AIDS crisis in Africa. I look at the human rights abuses that are going on in Sudan. I look at how children are not able to go to school in most parts of the world because of simple things like school fees. And I am focused on also the solutions. And I think that’s one of the things that’s missing in the paper today. So one of the reasons I’ve been speaking out around the country is that I find out that many of the good stories aren’t in the news today.Question: What are the good stories?
Well I think that we’re also making a difference in areas like TB, malaria. A number of years ago if you went into Africa, it was very typical for people to be dying of malaria because they didn’t have a net that only costs about $10. And now we’re seeing more of that distribution. It also . . . You would see millions of kids dying of simple diseases. Or dysentery. And now, thanks to organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, there’s a big impact that’s happening in those countries. And there’s a momentum today that we didn’t even see a couple of years ago. So I think for the first time, people are realizing that we might actually meet those millennial development goals that were set in 2000, which were to eliminate the diverse aspects of hunger and poverty around the world.
There are many crisis in the world today, for which most have solutions.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.