What is your question?
What is a question everyone should be asking themselves?
Billy Collins: Well what are we doing with our day? What are we doing with our everyday experience? And how to . . . How do you not let time just slip away from you? How do you kind of acquire levels of attention, or levels of concentration that lead to a kind of gratitude? So one of the big things . . . big themes in poetry . . . I think we talked about death. That’s one. But the other theme is gratitude. And it’s all linked to death. It’s like death is the main theme. And then love and all the other stuff come out of the fact of death. But I think the idea of just gratitude for the miracle of your life. I mean that sounds a little corny, but just the notion that you should, you know, get down on your knees and thank God for your eyesight every 20 minutes.
We take this amazing thing for granted. And I think one function poetry has is that poetry is a . . . it balances out a little bit this presumptuousness. We walk around as if we just own the earth. And poetry tends to – at least some poetry – reminds us that . . . that this is . . . this is really the opposite of non-existence, and we are here by some kind of miraculous accident. And that’s . . . that’s the way of quickening the pulse and of seeing colors a little more vividly, and seeing the world around you as having a deeper sense of orchestration.
Thank God every 20 minutes for your eyesight.
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.