Tom Freston: Religion and Faith
Question: Do religion and faith inform your worldview?
Tom Freston: Well I’m very aware of religion and faith and the impact that it has on the world, and the pull that it has for people – both positive and negative. I think you can make a great case that religion is everything from the . . . I wouldn’t say the opiate of the masses, but there’s a lot of religious activity today that you can make a great case has . . . has not overly been official for mankind. It’s basically people looking for some form of exceptionalisn – that my religion is better than your religion. And you know that’s not a good basis for us all getting along, I suppose, in a diverse world . . . a globalized world. But I believe that there’s some sort of force behind the . . . you know behind the universe. I don’t really wanna get into my particular religious beliefs at the moment. But yeah, I believe there’s a God there. He must get confused sometimes watching us.
Recorded On: 7/6/07
We must confuse God.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.