The State of Public Education in America
Charles Best: The state of the public school system in our country I guess I would describe as totally varied, and that's sort of part of problem, there are so many communities, wealthy communities where public schools do provide a great education and do provide their students with all the resources that they need to learn, but then there are other communities where it's a totally different story and, in fact, the high school where I taught was not an example of a down and out dilapidated public school, the high school where I taught in the Bronx, Wings Academy had been pretty newly constructed, it was a great facility, compare to other public schools. We actually did have a decent amount of copy paper and pencils, but even at that kind of newly constructed public high school, I know that it was providing a different level of education than up in suburbs.
Question: If you don’t have a child in public school, why care?
Charles Best: Civic leaders and politicians have said it a lot better than I could, but even for those people who don’t have kids in the public schools, I think were all invested as a country and the state of public education and whether you're business man and you want to heir employees who are literate and can compute really effectively, you need public schools to be great. If you just believe in our democracy and you want an informed electorate, public schools are in your interest and I think our country is dependent on public schools, whether or not you personally have a kid in the public school system.
Recorded on: 1/29/08
If you don’t have a child in the system, why should you care?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
This economy has us in survival mode, stressing out our bodies and minds.
- Economic hardship is linked to physical and psychological illness, resulting in added healthcare expenses people can't afford.
- The gig economy – think Uber, Lyft, TaskRabbit, Handy – is marketed as a 'be your own boss' revolution, but it can be dehumanizing and dangerous; every worker is disposable.
- The cooperative business model can help reverse wealth inequality.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.