The Necessity of Economic Stimulus
Jon Corzine: I’m Governor Jon Corzine, Governor of the great State of New Jersey.
Well, fiscal responsibility is a very important objective over the longer term.
Right now, we have, what I learned in Econ 101 back in my college days, we entered into a liquidity trap where people aren’t spending money. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. And right now, consumers are not spending money, banks are not lending money, people don’t have the confidence to move forward.
And we need an outside demand coming in to economic life. And I think that can only be the federal government. So, unfortunately, even though I believe, on the long run, we need to have fiscal responsibility and balanced budgets, in the short run, we need to stimulate the economy.
We need for the federal government to fill in for what is not happening with the consumer, what is not happening by business spending. And that is only going to come from the federal government.
We need a very substantial stimulus coming in to the economy, I’d say, 2% to 3% of GDP to put you in the $300 billion range, might even be a little bit more to try to fill in the space that is occurring because our state governments, like New Jersey, are consumers, people on Main Street and businesses are not spending in the way that they would to keep the economy growing.
Recorded Nov 13, 2008.
Governor Jon Corzine says we need to think short-term before we can think long-term.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.