The Most Powerful Source of Happiness
Topic: The Most Powerful Source of Happiness
Jonathan Haidt: The most powerful driver of happiness, as everybody knows and everybody writes about, is relationships. The story is complicated regarding marriage, because a good marriage is the best thing you can have. A bad marriage is the worst thing you can have, but in general, being embedded in relationships.
This gets to what I think is possibly one of the biggest ideas of the next 10 years, is the idea that we humans, we’re shaped in part, I think, by a process of group level selection. That is, we are, to some extent, like bees in a hive that only really find meaning when we are acting as part of the hive.
We kind of busted out of the hive, beginning in the 17th and 18th centuries. We now live as individuals. There’s a lot to be said for that, but there’s a lot that comes back to bite us, a lot that we don’t understand, and a lot that makes it hard for us to find happiness.
Recorded on May 9, 2008.
The Enlightenment's focus on the individual has left us feeling all alone.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The climate change we're witnessing is more dramatic than we might think.
A lazy buzz phrase – 'Is this the new normal?' – has been doing the rounds as extreme climate events have been piling up over the past year. To which the riposte should be: it's worse than that – we're on the road to even more frequent, more extreme events than we saw this year.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.