The Life and Times of Eliot Spitzer
Jeffrey Archer was educated at Oxford University. He has served five years in Britain’s House of Commons, fourteen years in the House of Lords, and two in Her Majesty’s prisons, which spawned three volumes of highly acclaimedPrison Diaries. All of his novels and short story collections---including Kane and Abel, Sons of Fortune, and False Impression---have been international bestsellers. Archer is married with two children and lives in London and Cambridge.
Question: What’s next for Eliot Spitzer?
Jeffrey Archer: Well he is a very able man. I don’t know him, of course. But you don’t become Governor of New York if you aren’t a competent and able person. I suspect he is a hugely talented man. And I expect he would return to young man too, that is a really significant thing, if he was at the end of his political career, would just be retirement and perhaps a book memos. But no, he is a young man.
Ask me that question in five years time, you may not need to ask it, because I suspect it will have been answered.
Question: Will people forgive Eliot Spitzer?
Jeffrey Archer: I am not saying he will come back in to politics, that will be difficult, but the American people are very forgiving people, they know that they have failings as well and they know they have made mistakes as well, and if he comes back doing another job and does it competently, I expect you will be respected for that.
Recorded on: March 15, 2008.
Spitzer is still a young man.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett breaks down what qualities will inspire others to believe in you.
- Here's how 300 leaders and 4,000 mid-level managers described someone with executive presence.
- Get more deep insights like these to power your career forward. Join Big Think Edge.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.