The Helpless Y Chromosome
Dr. Marianne Legato is a Professor of Clinical Medicine at Columbia University, where she also directs and founded the Partnership for Gender-Specific Medicine.
Dr. Legato is the founder and editor of "The Journal of Gender-Specific Medicine and of Gender-Medicine" and a leading advocate for the inclusion of women in clinical trials. She is annually cited in New York Magazine's top doctors issues. She is also the author of Eve's Rib:The New Science of Gender-Specific Medicine and How It Can Save Your Life, The Female Heart, and Why Men Never Remember and Women Never Forget, and, most recently, "Why Men Die First: How to Lengthen Your Lifespan." She edited the medical textbook, "Principles of Gender Specific Medicine," the first compilation for professional audiences of the sex-specific aspects of normal human function and disease.
She lives in New York City.
Question: Is the Y chromosome prone to mutations?
Marianne Legato: The Y chromosome is definitely unique among all the chromosomes. Over most of its extent, it can’t exchange with its partner the X chromosome to repair its deficiencies or mutations in DNA. It’s learned to repair itself in an interesting and unique way. The issues with the Y chromosome are that they are exposed to environmental toxins because they are housed outside the body in the scrotal sack. Many millions are produced every day and, therefore, mutations are far more frequent in the Y chromosome than in the X or indeed in any of the other chromosomes. So the male drives evolutionary development because of this extraordinary proliferation of mutations that are characteristic of sperm and the Y chromosome.
The masculine chromosome is unique in its inability to repair itself, making it exceptionally prone to mutation and pollution.
The key to happiness is being less optimistic and accepting a certain amount of unhappiness.
- The centuries old philosophy of Stoicism may hold the key to a kind of happiness that is more grounded in reality.
- The two main ideas of stoic happiness are that problems are caused by your reactions to events not the events themselves, and the only things you can control are your thoughts and your actions.
- Choosing strategic pessimism over optimism and positive thinking is one way to avoid "unnecessary disturbance and anxiety."
TheTrueSize.com offers hours of fun while you stretch and shrink countries and states all over the globe.
- Our world maps lie to us: North America and Europe aren't really that big and Africa really is much bigger.
- It's all the fault of Mercator: even if the man himself wasn't necessarily Eurocentric, his projection is.
- This interactive map tool reveals countries' true sizes without having to resort to the Peters projection.
Getting started with easy-to-follow instructions and coursework is essential, and that is exactly what you'll find in The Ultimate Adobe CC Training Bundle.
- The Ultimate Adobe CC Training Bundle includes courses in using Adobe's most popular apps.
- Students learn basic to advanced features in Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator and four other Adobe CC programs.
- The $1,800 training package is now only $39.