from the world's big
The Future of the Foundation
Myra J. Biblowit has served as a director of Wyndham Worldwide Corporation since our separation from Cendant in July 2006. Ms. Biblowit was a Cendant director from April 2000 until the completion of Cendant's separation plan in August 2006. Since April 2001, Ms. Biblowit has been President of The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. From July 1997 until March 2001, she served as Vice Dean for External Affairs for the New York University School of Medicine and Senior Vice President of the Mount Sinai-NYU Health System. From June 1991 to June 1997, Ms. Biblowit was Senior Vice President and Executive Director of the Capital Campaign for the American Museum of Natural History.
Myra Biblowitz: To raise as much money as we can, to feed that hungry animal, to take this advancement in scientific knowledge and move it forward as fast as we can. The intellectual capital is in place, the technology is in place, the diagnostic tools are there. We need to put the money and the resources in the hands of the researchers so that they can resolve this, this is resolvable. It’s a matter of
dollars moving the knowledge forward faster.
Question: How can donors reach your organization, and where can they expect their funds to go?
Myra Biblowit: Well they can call us or they can go to www.bcrfcure.org or call 646 497 2600, $250,000 funds one researcher, that is the typical size of a research grant. Many of our partners, our donors, our corporations fully fund a researcher, we recognize them, we associate them with the researcher and they love that and they get the benefit of hearing about the progress. But every gift counts, cumulatively that 40 million comes from donors large and small, so no one should feel their dollar doesn’t make a difference because it is the collective resources that are gonna resolve this. We would welcome the support of everyone listening to this, be assured that the dollars you invest with us are well and wisely and efficiently invested. Our medical advisory board second to none, really knows where the best research is taking place and we’re putting the money in the hands of those researchers and we’re doing it with the smallest overhead of any breast cancer organization in the country.
Biblowitz describes the road ahead for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, and ways to get involved in raising funds for research.
Educators and administrators must build new supports for faculty and student success in a world where the classroom might become virtual in the blink of an eye.
- If you or someone you know is attending school remotely, you are more than likely learning through emergency remote instruction, which is not the same as online learning, write Rich DeMillo and Steve Harmon.
- Education institutions must properly define and understand the difference between a course that is designed from inception to be taught in an online format and a course that has been rapidly converted to be offered to remote students.
- In a future involving more online instruction than any of us ever imagined, it will be crucial to meticulously design factors like learner navigation, interactive recordings, feedback loops, exams and office hours in order to maximize learning potential within the virtual environment.
Placing science and religion at opposite ends of the belief spectrum is to ignore their unique purposes.
- Science and religion (fact versus faith) are often seen as two incongruous groups. When you consider the purpose of each and the questions that they seek to answer, the comparison becomes less black and white.
- This video features religious scholars, a primatologist, a neuroendocrinologist, a comedian, and other brilliant minds considering, among other things, the evolutionary function that religion serves, the power of symbols, and the human need to learn, explore, and know the world around us so that it becomes a less scary place.
- "I think most people are actually kind of comfortable with the idea that science is a reliable way to learn about nature, but it's not the whole story and there's a place also for religion, for faith, for theology, for philosophy," says Francis Collins, American geneticist and director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). "But that harmony perspective doesn't get as much attention. Nobody is as interested in harmony as they are in conflict."
Studying voice recordings of infected but asymptomatic people reveals potential indicators of Covid-19.
A leading British space scientist thinks there is life under the ice sheets of Europa.
- A British scientist named Professor Monica Grady recently came out in support of extraterrestrial life on Europa.
- Europa, the sixth largest moon in the solar system, may have favorable conditions for life under its miles of ice.
- The moon is one of Jupiter's 79.
Neil deGrasse Tyson wants to go ice fishing on Europa<div class="rm-shortcode" data-media_id="GLGsRX7e" data-player_id="FvQKszTI" data-rm-shortcode-id="f4790eb8f0515e036b24c4195299df28"> <div id="botr_GLGsRX7e_FvQKszTI_div" class="jwplayer-media" data-jwplayer-video-src="https://content.jwplatform.com/players/GLGsRX7e-FvQKszTI.js"> <img src="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/thumbs/GLGsRX7e-1920.jpg" class="jwplayer-media-preview" /> </div> <script src="https://content.jwplatform.com/players/GLGsRX7e-FvQKszTI.js"></script> </div>
Water Vapor Above Europa’s Surface Deteced for First Time<span style="display:block;position:relative;padding-top:56.25%;" class="rm-shortcode" data-rm-shortcode-id="9c4abc8473e1b89170cc8941beeb1f2d"><iframe type="lazy-iframe" data-runner-src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WQ-E1lnSOzc?rel=0" width="100%" height="auto" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;"></iframe></span>
A study finds people are more influenced by what the other party says than their own. What gives?
- A new study has found evidence suggesting that conservative climate skepticism is driven by reactions to liberal support for science.
- This was determined both by comparing polling data to records of cues given by leaders, and through a survey.
- The findings could lead to new methods of influencing public opinion.