Technology and Business
Murray Low: So what technology has done, which is absolutely wonderful for independent entrepreneurs, is it’s made the three-person shop as professional as the 30,000 person shop. And in some ways, it’s given an advantage to the smaller companies, because you’ve got all the access to technology. And it’s changed the economies of scale, of production and so just so wonderful in terms of individual productivity and the ability to link sort of virtual networks. So if I was to come up, suggest one other sort of factor that leads to successful entrepreneurial businesses, it’s not trying to do everything, focusing on the core things where you really add value and then getting other people, basically outsourcing and getting other people to sort share some of the risk and contribute their-- or make their contribution to business. So with technology, that’s just a lot easier, the communication, the control, the logistics are just much easier. And so technology has really given the independent entrepreneur a degree of freedom that never existed before. It’s created opportunities for small businesses to compete where they never would have been considered a player before. It gives them legitimacy.
Recorded on: 5/13/08
Technology has been wonderful for entrepreneurs.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Groundbreaking neuroscience confirms what Sigmund Freud first theorized.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.