Should Iowa and New Hampshire stay at the head of the primary schedule?
Question: Should Iowa and New Hampshire stay at the head of the primary schedule?
Dennis Kucinich: I absolutely believe that New Hampshire should be at the front of the primary schedule. New Hampshire has been a very open process. Iowa is different. Iowa has become so professionalized that the state democratic party there is trying to put a fix in. So I reject that kind of approach, and I think that it’s really important that New Hampshire have the chance to stay the first primary. But I think that . . . that the process in Iowa needs to be looked at again, and maybe Iowa’s first-in-the-nation caucus standing should be reconsidered. I don’t think that any state should be guaranteed that they keep their status as first unless they actually make efforts to be open. And Iowa hasn’t done that. It’s excluded people from debates. It’s . . . it’s taken efforts to exclude candidates from various forums. I don’t think that that should be permitted in someone . . . in some state that has a first status.
Recorded on: 10/19/07
There should be no guarantees that a state should keep their status if they exclude candidates from debates, Dennis Kucinich says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.