Re: How do you contribute?
Question: What is your legacy?
Mary Robinson: Well in a way that’s more for others, but I think it’s true to say that I’ve been very much identified with human rights. Some people don’t like that. They say, “Oh, she’s always talking about human rights.” But I think it’s important that we know that we have values. And then we hold governments accountable and the business sector accountable. If I’ve contributed significantly to that, I’d be very happy with that. As it happens, I’ve been recently asked and very honored to become one of the elders working with incredible people like ________ himself, Nelson Mandela, Graca his wife, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Jimmy Carter, Kofi Annan, Muhammad Yunis, Ella Bhatt of India and so forth. And I’ve been able to encourage that we as elder remind the world of human rights. I’m glad that that can be part of what I can say. And I believe that . . . I believe that there’s a growing idealism in young people. They’re longing for that voice. Why do so many young people listen to __________ . . . love him in a way that’s hard to understand basically? It’s because he stands for the values that would make our world a more peaceful, a more . . . a fairer and a better place for the dignity and rights of everybody in the world. We could do it.
Recorded on: 7/25/07
Always talking about human rights.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.