Nathaniel Rich on Internalizing Criticism
Topic: Nathaniel Rich on Internalizing Criticism
Nathaniel Rich: Well, I didn’t talk about the book when I was writing it for five or six years, so when I- when I, you know, read any of the reviews that have come out so far, my first response is- is kind of- is still surprise and excitement of someone read my book, that I didn’t- it- it-- the idea that other people are reading what I wrote and was sort of thinking about it for five years is still astonishing to me on some level. Maybe I’ll get past that soon, but whether they have good things to say <laugh> or bad things to say, I’m- I kind of just wanna thank them for reading my book. I feel like it’s really exciting. So I’m still at that phase. Maybe there’ll be a time when I’m really bitter and angry, or- or my mood-- I’ll have to go to bed if I read a negative review or something. But at this point, I’m- I’m-- it’s just exciting to me that people are reading things that I wrote, and it’s a very strange idea to me.
Recorded On: 3/17/08
The reason for writing the book in secret.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.