Matt Bai on his book
Matt Bai: Well nothing inspired me to write the book. I actually had to be talked into it by my agent, and I’m still not sure it was a good idea. But you know what inspired me to write the stories that led up to it, and what inspired me to get really interested in Democratic politics is at this moment, in the emergence of a progressive movement is that I went out with Howard Dean in early . . . in 2003 when he was still a relatively unknown. And it was just Dean and I and an aid or two driving around in a van, you know? And he had his wash and wear shirts in the back and all that kind of stuff. And the crowds he drew just blew me away. It was like nothing I’d seen. The intensity, and the size, and the age disparities. But the intensity, and the fury, and the resentment spilling over. And it wasn’t just about Republican government. It was about Democrats and why their own party couldn’t stand up to what was happening in Washington, and it shook me. I came back and I said to my editors there is something profound happening at the grassroots of Democratic politics, and we don’t understand it. They were very encouraging for me to go do that; and so that really . . . that really got me moving in that direction. And there were just several twists and turns along the way that, you know, further convinced me that there was a lot worth mining there.
Recorded on: 12/13/07
Emergent Democratic politics is profound and worth researching.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.