Is there a clash of civilizations?
Matt Bai: I suspect like most people he’s running because he’s always wanted to be president and thinks he’s . . . thinks he’s smart enough, good enough, and charismatic enough to be president; has that . . . has that good a sense of himself. And . . . and you know I think he’s running on a very simple premise, which is you don’t have to think I’m a nice guy. I’m not looking to babysit your kids. You don’t have to agree with everything I agree with. We disagree about some things in there. And I’m gonna do my best not to make a mess in those issues that you care about, like abortion or whatever else. But none of that matters. The only social issue that matters is we are now under attack by a civilization. We are now under . . . under the siege of radical Islam from around the world; and that, you know, I’m the guy who can keep you safe. I’ve proven that I’m the guy who can . . . who can direct troops and keep people safe. I did it in New York City and I’ll do it in the country. I mean he’s running as an anti-terror president. That’s kind of all there is. And everything else he’s running . . . every other issue is just there to mitigate potential opposition so he can focus people on the one thing he cares most about.
Recorded on: 12/13/07
People in every culture make decisions based on what is best for themselves and their families.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.