Is the American political system broken?
Julia Bolz: Right now, I am waiting for this age to pass somewhat because of the current administration [i.e. the George W. Bush admininistration] that we have. And I feel that from an international standpoint, we are a little bit at a standstill.
The plans have already been made for the upcoming years. There has not been a change in the international foreign policy and the way that we [USA] engage countries, the way that we put money into education. And so to me it requires us to have a change in the president.
But what it also means is that I believe that the winds of change are actually occurring right now.
Reverend Jim ________ once gave a wonderful analogy. He raised his finger, and he licked it, and he said, “What happens in Washington, D.C. is that the senators, they always look to see which direction the wind is blowing.”
Well we can continue to elect people that are always going to test the wind. What we need to do as individuals is change the direction of the wind. So my hope right now and my optimism is that that wind is changing. And I think that people from around the world are now understanding that we are a part of this bigger world. And we see this momentum – especially against poverty – occurring all over the place thanks to the help of Bono, the Gates Foundation and folks like that.
July 4, 2007
Individuals have to step out of their comfort zones.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.