Howard Lederer’s Tips for Negotiating
Lederer: One of the most dangerous negotiations you can make are the ones where you just have a very weak person on the other side and they’re just giving up every point, and there’d been times when I’ve looked at a potential deal and I just said, this can’t be good for them, and it ends up costing you a lot of time because what ends up happening is they just, they don’t really fulfill their end of their obligations. There’s no interest or sort of energy that they put into their side of the deal and you end up having to look for a different partner because you made too good a deal for yourself. I don't know how much that relates to poker, but I do feel like sometimes, I guess what I get from poker is that I’m always putting myself in the position of the person I’m negotiating with, and when I feel like I’ve crossed that line where they’d just let me run over them on every point, I actually try and pull back and make the deal something that will work for both sides.
The Poker Professor on behavior techniques that work.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.