How will this age be remembered?
Josh Lieb: This isn’t the fall of Rome. I hope it’s not the . . . The historians aren’t going to say, “How could they have been so selfish, so self-serving?” I suspect . . . I suspect we will be seen as selfish. It’s . . . We are so gluttonous in a way. It doesn’t look good, especially, God forbid in a future era where people aren’t . . . can’t take showers every morning, you know? And we’ll be seen as pigs. But I hope not. I hope we . . . we make it so that everyone can have a hot shower every morning, and a good breakfast, and a good school. And then they’ll think of us as proud forebearers. You know I . . . I . . . We . . . I . . . I don’t think they’re going to think of us like we think of the founding fathers of this country as sort of people who really put themselves on the line, and fought, and you know earned these rights, and you know, talked late in the night about big ideas. They’re not gonna think of us like that. You know, and it’s our fault. We’re the . . . We’re the indulgent grand . . . We’re the indulged grandchildren.
Recorded on: 9/4/07
We are the indulged grandchildren of the Founding Fathers.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.