Fritz Haeg on Beauty
Fritz Haeg works between his art, architecture and design practice Fritz Haeg Studio (though the currently preferred clients are animals), the happenings and gatherings of Sundown Salon (now Sundown Schoolhouse), the ecology initiatives of Gardenlab (including Edible Estates), and other various combinations of building, curating, dancing, designing, exhibiting, gardening, organizing, talking, teaching, and writing. His home base since 2001 is a geodesic dome in the hills of Los Angeles.
Question: Do you have a definition of beauty?
Fritz Haeg: No, I am interested in beauty is a by product of important thought of critical thought, I think may be when I was younger I was more interested in this very well folk creation of beauty, trying to make something beautiful, but I am less and less interested in that and I think all any beauty that comes out in my work is just a by product of some rigorous development of work that response to the world that we are in and I feel like the more honest and earnest in that work is the more and neatly beautiful will be without me having to get to involved with it. I think there are certain decision that I make obviously they are very, they are very esthetic and that are very carefully considered esthetic decisions about what things will look like, but I am try not to get too much in the way of that, let things evolve the way they need to and I think hopefully a by product will be beauty I know, Buckminster Fuller actually who is another hero of mine. He has this wonderful sound lecture at this architecture school where he is screaming at all these architects like, why they are trying to make everything so beautiful, not understanding that if they designed things that were in keeping with the basic principles of nature, every thing that they made within it will be beautiful, because of what is part of those eternal truths, which is easy to say, but on some level I think it is true if you look at his work they are very few willfully beautiful moments, but everything that he did it so gorgeous just out of these integrate systems that he created and that were responding to natural forces and systems that he absorbed all around him.
Recorded On: 3/10/08
Haeg is interested in beauty as a by-product of critical thought.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.