Andrew Spade is a fashion designer who co-founded Kate Spade and Jack Spade. Born in Birmingham, Michigan, he attended Arizona State University, where he met fellow future-fashion designer Katherine Brosnahan. Together, they launched the handbag design company Kate Spade in 1993. The couple married the next year. They created the design company Jack Spade in 1996 to fill the perceived market void for stylish and practical men's accessories, and the company officially launched in 1999. In February of 2009, Andy openend a new store on Great Jones Street, in Manhattan, called Partners & Spade. He resides in New York City.
Topic: Fashion Icons
Andrew Spade: My favorite fashion icon would be either Ray Pekubo or Junior Watenabe. I usually look to the Japanese for inspiration in design; how they mix traditional with the avant grade. And I don’t usually wear it, but conceptually and from a design standpoint, IsiMiaki I think is incredibly talented. And there are others. There are smaller designers, and there are a lot in America as well as Europe. But those are the people who I always get excited about when I read their ideas.
Recorded on: 7/12/07
I usually look to the Japanese for inspiration in design.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.