David Maine: The Monster in Us
Question: Why do some people identify with monsters?
David Maine:I mean, I don’t know. Even as a really little kid, there was always a part of me that was not happy when the monster gets killed at the end. The giant ant or the giant praying mantis or whatever. Partly because when you are a little kid you just think it is cool, ah, look at that, just knock the building over, that is cool and they kill it, that sucks and not getting more buildings over. I do think that is a widely held feeling or response or whatever, but I don’t, okay this book was just lately reviewed favorably by Oprah's magazine. So let me quote Oprah. No, somebody a fellow reviewed it for, I don’t remember his name, but he said something like the secret of these movies is that we all relate to the monster because, who hasn’t felt misshapen and misunderstood and picked on and everything? So maybe that’s true. I mean, maybe these movies partly they are popular because, everybody at sometime or another has had this fantasy of just walking down the street and flipping cars over, making all of the pretty people run away in terror. I don’t know, but, sure, that feeling is overt in me. Recorded on: 2/20/08
There was always a part of Maine that wasn't happy when the monster died at the end.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.