Data-Driven Tips for Online Daters
Sam Yagan is co-founder and CEO of OkCupid.com, the fastest-growing free online dating service. Yagan was previously co-founder and CEO of TheSpark.com, maker of SparkNotes, and president of MetaMachine, which developed P2P file-sharing application eDonkey. He has also been vice president and general manager at Delias, and vice-president and publisher at Barnes & Noble.
Tip 1: Show Some Skin
So it turns out that you do get more messages if you have a more revealing photo. But we found that was actually more insightful was that the cleavage advantage, as I call it, actually increases with age. So when you’re 18-years-old, if you have a photo that’s more revealing, you’re going to get about 24% more interest than a non-revealing photo. By the time you turn 32 that advantage increases to 79%.
Tip 2: Don’t Use Flash
We learned that if you use flash, it adds seven years of age. So a 28-year old using flash has the same attractiveness as a 35-year-old who doesn’t use flash.
Tip 3: Consider Eye Contact
If you are a man, you shouldn’t look straight into the camera because that’s intimidating to women. If you are a woman, you should be looking into the camera because men don’t want to imagine you looking at some other guy. They want you looking straight at them.
Tip 4: Be Candid
If you take a photo in your bathroom or a photo taken with your cell phone, those have a more authentic, more intimate appeal and those actually do very, very well.
Tip 5: Don’t Be Shallow
So if you use the words, “sexy” or “cute” or “beautiful” in a message, you’re going to get about a 30% worse response rate than if you talk about interests that she has in her profile. So if you use words like, oh it’s fascinating that you have this interest or if you talk about a band that she likes or something that’s actually written about in her profile, you’re going to do twice as well as if you’re someone who is focusing on her physical looks.
Using information gleaned from the millions of profiles in its system, OkCupid has determined that specific things can help (and hurt) your online dating mojo.
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
SpaceX plans to launch about 12,000 internet-providing satellites into orbit over the next six years.
- SpaceX plans to launch 1,600 satellites over the next few years, and to complete its full network over the next six.
- Blanketing the globe with wireless internet-providing satellites could have big implications for financial institutions and people in rural areas.
- Some are concerned about the proliferation of space debris in Earth's orbit.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.