Dan Ariely: Google and New Labor Models

Dan Ariely: None of the established big companies are coming up with any interesting labor models.  And the ones that are coming up with interesting labor models are actually the start ups.  They are coming up with all kinds of interesting things.

But the question is, how much of the total work day and total time do you want to dedicate toward efficient execution versus other things?  Somebody who has 100 percent of time dedicated to efficient execution might actually not care about the job at the end, and somebody who has a part of it dedicated to other things might actually care more about even the execution.  

At Google, this idea that 20 percent of your time you can be dedicated to something that you care about personally.  It has two elements.  One is that these 20 percent of the time might become incredibly useful for the company because they don’t think that people are going to sit by the beach or by the pool and just drink coconut juice--or maybe it’s California, so it’s, you know, mixed carrot juice with some leaves or something--, but they don’t think people are going to do that.  Instead they think the people are going to do something useful for the company that might one day have high rewards.  But on top of that, they also think that these 20 percent time that people have to do work on other things would spill over the other 80 percent because all of a sudden they would feel better about the whole company and even their 80 percent of their other time when they’re supposed to do something more specific would be more efficient.  

So, it doesn’t have to be about every moment, but it has to be something more general.

Directed / Produced by
Jonathan Fowler & Elizabeth Rodd

According to psychologist Dan Ariely, Google’s policy of giving employees free reign over 20% of their work week – one full day out of five – makes for happier, more passionate workers and a better, more creative company.

LinkedIn meets Tinder in this mindful networking app

Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.

Getty Images
Sponsored
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.

No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.

Keep reading Show less

People who engage in fat-shaming tend to score high in this personality trait

A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.

Pixabay
Mind & Brain
  • The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
  • The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
  • People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
Keep reading Show less

4 anti-scientific beliefs and their damaging consequences

The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.

Moon Landing Apollo
popular
  • Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
  • Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
  • All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
Keep reading Show less

Reigning in brutality - how one man's outrage led to the Red Cross and the Geneva Conventions

The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.

Napoleon III at the Battle of Solferino. Painting by Adolphe Yvon. 1861.
Politics & Current Affairs
  • Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
  • Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
  • Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
Keep reading Show less