Chuck Close Photographs Brad Pitt
Chuck Close: After a kind of unfortunate start in which his handler, in an attempt to protect him, wrote an unbelievably stupid contract and I said, “Obviously, you don’t know how this thing works.”
Brad [Pitt] was very, very embarrassed that the people around him were asking him for all this stuff. And he contacted me and he said, “This isn’t me, I didn’t do this. I know you’re work, and I would just like to be photographed by you.”
So, we spent the day together and I found him to be a very interesting guy. I think a person of, speaking of integrity, a person of very high integrity, and a person with real passion for his work, but also a passion for the things that he believes in, causes that he and Angelina [Jolie] are involved with. It was a real pleasure to get to know him.
Recorded on: February 5, 2009
Chuck Close on the passion of Brangelina.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.