Are we prepared for a waning of American power?
Question: Are we prepared for a waning of American power?
Dennis Kucinich: You know this whole idea about pax Americana needs to be looked at. I mean there’s an arrogance behind it. We’re not the only country in the world. And an Americentric view is actually dangerous because it says that . . . that our decisions . . . that we don’t have to worry about the impact of our decisions on the rest of the world. We can make 25 percent of the greenhouse gases and who cares? We’re America. We can arm ourselves to the hilt and tell other countries, “Don’t you even so much as have a nuclear power plant.” See you can’t do that. You can’t . . . you can’t . . . you can’t have a credible position in the world saying, “Don’t do as we do; do as we say.” And so because the U.S. spends more than the rest of the world put together for military, we’ve used our military might to try to impose our views on other countries when our morality should do if we had leaders who took that position. But they don’t, so we use arms. And we end up in a mess where we’re hated in different countries. I want America to be loved again. I want America to be respected as a country that takes care of its own people.
Recorded on: 10/19/07
Kucinich wants America to be loved again.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.