Annette Gordon-Reed on Law Scholarship
Gordon-Reed: Well, I think, you know, one of the things that you learn in law school pretty early on is that people are incoherent. That you can’t … people have motives that they don’t even understand on their own. They don’t understand their lives and then your clients come in and they tell you their problems. They may not be telling you the truth and you have to try to figure out what the truth is. All kinds of… people are mixed up and you can’t really expect coherence from them. And I think that people who have studied Jefferson more so than other areas maybe he’s because he’s a founding father, maybe this is something that people fall prey to when they’re thinking about founding fathers expect the kind of coherence from them that really is not realistic. And then when he’s not coherent, they get mad at them and they’re critical of him because he’s not coherent when… I think my training as lawyer, we try to teach our students from the very beginning that people are sort of crazy by nature and you can’t expect all of this stuff to fit. So, I think that kind of view of the world informs. I don’t go in and say, oh, it’s impossible for this person to have felt that. It’s impossible for this person to do that. Nobody would ever do that because people [just thought rational] and they don’t work that way, and so that sensibility informs I think my work.
Understanding that the world is incoherent informs Annette Gordon-Reed’s work.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.